1. 1 Project Background
Our writers will create one from scratch for
This Alcohol Abuse among Teenagers Campaign has been organized by World Health Organization (WHO) Malaysia. WHO also has worked with National Association of the Prevention of Drug Abuse (PEMADAM) in conducting seminars about on “ Promote Healthy Lifestyle: Reduce Alcohol Harm” organized by the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH). Alcohol abuse has become very common in Malaysia. Alcohol abuse is the re-occurring consumption of alcohol over short periods of time and usually in large quantities. This may also be called binge drinking. Binge drinking leads to a lot of problems in a young person’s life. Problems that is physical such as intentional or unintentional injuries, personal problems such as troubles with the family and political problems such as going against the law.
According to a study carried out, issues that are often associated with alcoholism is an issue of health risk such as “ Anemia” which is can cause the number of oxygen-carrying red blood cells to be abnormally low. Other issue that associated is sexually transmitted disease like having sex with a number of different people and can cause unplanned pregnancy. Vandalism is a common illegal act among those under the influence of alcohol. School, homes, businesses and park are all affected by vandalism. This is one of the issues associated with alcohol problem also issues about injury which is a type of hazard which can be associated with alcohol use.
Types of accidental injuries caused by alcohol abuse or addiction include burns, injury from a car or boating accident (caused by drunk driving), drowning, and injury from falling. In this alcohol abuse among teenagers awareness campaign, the motivational illustration concept is used and there are several types of media and items used to carry out this campaign. For the print advertisement, the researcher comes out with a series of poster, newspaper advertisement, brochure and flyers. The researchers also come out with outdoor advertisement such as bunting and banner. By developing this campaign, it can help the teenagers to live a healthy non-alcoholic and bring awareness to teenagers that caught with alcohol abuse. This campaign is not only recommended for teenager, but to the parent and the local community that should also play an important role to lead them a healthy life.
1. 2 Problem Statement
Malaysia is the tenth largest consumer of alcohol in the world and so few studies have been carried to find the precise magnitude of the problems caused by this consumption. The facts and figures show that it is increasing each year. Alcohol abuse in Malaysia is mainly heavy intake in the form of drinks, underage drinking and driving under the influence of alcohol. There are THREE(3) Problem Statement:-
a) Lack of information and education toward teenagers about the harmful alcohol
b) Influence of peers
c) Alcohol abuse awareness campaign is less popular in Malaysia
1. 3 Objective of the Project
The objective of alcohol abuse among teenagers campaign is to create awareness among teenagers about the danger of alcohol to them and it is also a danger to the other people by providing info about the danger of excessive alcohol intake.
1. 3. 1 To give more information and education towards the public and increase awareness concerning the causes and negative consequences of teenagers alcohol abuse. 1. 3. 2 To encourage teenagers practice healthy lifestyle to avoid becoming alcohol abuse. 1. 3. 3 To intensify and highlight he awareness campaign on alcohol abuse in Malaysia
1. 4 Scope of the Project
Therefore the powerful campaign advertisement and education special programmed should be carried out to inculcate or cultivate carried attitudes towards the issue. For the first stage in the awareness campaign about alcohol abuse among teenagers the researcher will advertise the item campaign: 1. 4. 1 Print ads
1. 4. 1. 1 Series of poster
The researcher will put the series poster at the booth area during the event. 1. 4. 1. 2 Newspaper ads
Newspaper ad will be placed in the News Strait Times.
1. 4. 1. 3 Brochure
The researcher will provide information about the cause of alcohol abuse in the brochure. 1. 4. 1. 4 Flyers
The researcher will provide details about the venue, date and activity of the campaign.
1. 4. 2 Outdoor Advertisement
1. 4. 2. 1 Bunting
Bunting will be placed adjacent to the booth.
1. 4. 2. 2 Banner
Banner will be hung on a pole near the booth.
1. 4. 3 Promotional Items
1. 4. 3. 1 Paper Bag
Provide a paper bag to facilitate the audience to put other promotional items. 1. 4. 3. 2 Car sticker
Shows that the audience supports this campaign by pasting stickers on their cars. 1. 4. 3. 3 Badges
Show support to stop alcohol abuse.
1. 4. 3. 4 Interactive Card
Delivered a message through the visual.
1. 4. 3. 5 Drinking bottle
Mineral water is provide for audience with its own design.
1. 5 Significance of the Project
The significance of this project is to bring awareness to the Parent and especially the Teenagers. The significance is more directed to target audience for this campaign. The target audience for this Alcohol Abuse among Teenagers Campaign is:
1. 5. 1 Teenager
1. 5. 1. 1 Encourage teenagers from not doing unhealthy activities and doing more physical activities 1. 5. 1. 2 By knowing the risk of drinking alcohol, teenager will be more careful in taking alcohol. 1. 5. 2 Parents
1. 5. 2. 1 By doing this campaign, parents will get more knowledge and information about this issue and will make them aware about the negative effect of alcohol. 1. 5. 2. 2 Parents will more concern about this issue and will take it as a serious issue. 1. 5. 2. 3 Parents will take actions of this issue.
1. 6Limitation of the Project
1. 6. 1The target audience age range for this project is teenagers aged 16 to 20 years old, parents and public 1. 6. 2 The area coverage for this project is at section 13 Shah Alam, Selangor. 1. 6. 3 Teenagers do not have deep knowledge on this issue (low level education).
CHAPTER 2: LITERATURE REVIEW
2. 1 Review of Current Situation
The EU-Malaysia Chamber of Commerce and Industry has issued a press statement* on alcohol consumption in Malaysia. “ On 22 May 2011, Mr. Yong Yew Wei, Secretary General of the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall, delivered the opening speech at a seminar in Kuala Lumpur to launch the “ Promote a Healthy Lifestyle, Reduce Alcohol Harm” campaign. In his speech, Mr. Yong claimed that Malaysia ranks as the world’s tenth largest consumer of alcohol despite its small population, adding that Malaysians spend US$500m on alcohol. This claim was backed up by a Working Paper provided to journalists which stated that per capita consumption of alcohol in Malaysia is seven liters while beer consumption stands at 11 liters per capita, figures misleadingly attributed to the WHO (2011).
Deputy Women, Family and Community Development Minister Heng Seai Kie said the problem of alcohol consumption in the country was getting serious. “ Alcohol is not only causing a lot of health issues but is also contributing to a significant number of accidents,” she said here yesterday. Heng was speaking to reporters after launching booklets and seminars on “ Promote Healthy lifestyle: Reduce Alcohol Harm” organised by the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH) and supported by IOGT International, a worldwide community of non-governmental organisations, and the National Association of the Prevention of Drug Abuse (Pemadam). KLSCAH secretary-general Yong Yew Wei said the Road Safety Council estimated that drinking and driving caused 30% of road accidents nationwide, with 38% of these resulting in fatalities. “ A study also shows that absenteeism from workplace among alcoholics is 16 times higher than others,” he said, adding that non-governmental bodies played a vital role in promoting a healthy lifestyle.
2. 2 Review of Related Products
There have been some programs that have been created and implemented to help decrease the rate of alcohol abuse among teenagers in Malaysia.
2. 2. 1 Pernod Ricard Malaysia Initiates Long Term ‘ Responsible Drinking’ Campaign
Pernod Ricard Malaysia on 30 September launched its corporate social responsibility (CSR) programmer, ‘ Be in Control. If You Drink, Don’t Drive’, in a move to encourage consumers to adopt a more responsible drinking habit by making them aware of the risks associated with inappropriate drinking, particularly, driving while under influence. The said CSR programmer, launched as part of Pernod Ricard’s global Responsible Drinking campaign, seeks to encourage consumers to take the pledge to stay in control and to not drive under the influence.
This campaign delivers a very clear message in which it pointed out that when you are under the influence of alcohol, then do not drive.
2. 2. 2 Promote a Healthy Lifestyle, Reduce Alcohol Harm
based on your requirements 311 professionals
On 22 May 2011, Mr. Yong Yew Wei, Secretary General of the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall, delivered the opening speech at a seminar in Kuala Lumpur to launch the “ Promote a Healthy Lifestyle, Reduce Alcohol Harm” campaign. It represents a continuing effort by the World Health Organization (WHO) to support Member States in collecting information in order to assist them in their efforts to reduce the harmful use of alcohol, and its health and social consequences among teenagers. The report was launched in Geneva on Friday 11 Februray 2011 during the first meeting of the WHO global counterparts for implementation of the global strategy to reduce the harmful use of alcohol. This campaign is full of info on how to avoid getting stuck with the consumption of alcohol and also said the spirit and encouraging words for a healthy lifestyle.
2. 2. 3 Drinking Alcohsl Go To Hell by (ALCON) This injustice has prompted Deepak to set up a virtual group on Facebook called the Alcohol Consumer Rights Group Malaysia (ALCON). His mission: to protect the interests of alcohol consumers in Malaysia and be their voice. “ Although we contribute billions to the economy every year, there is not a single association or body that protects the fundamental rights of these consumers and drinkers. So we held a press conference and started a petition. We wanted to hand a memo to the Finance Ministry, telling them to reduce the prices,” says Deepak. This campaign give benefit to teenagers because it tells us about the waste of money on the purchase of alcohol. This campaign also shows that it is also one of the reason why alcohol consumption does not bring any benefits.
2. 2. 4 Dont Drink and Drown by Royal Life Saving Society Malaysia The Royal Life Saving Society Malaysia launched its centenary year in 2009 with a shock print advertising campaign designed to remind adults about the dangers of mixing alcohol with aquatic activities. Two print advertisements show a man drowning in a glass of beer, and a woman slumped on the rocks in her glass of vodka and cranberry. “ Almost half of all adult drowning deaths involve alcohol. Don’t drink and drown.” This campaign succesfuly impact the audience about the dangers of alcohol consumption by the use of a deep visual. With such creative visual campaigns, they have their own way to convey message to attract audience attention.
CHAPTER 3: METHODOLOGY
3. 1 Project Methodology
3. 1. 1 Determine the advertising objectives.
This step the researcher doing some research about alcohol abuse among teenager in Shah Alam section 13 and how to raise the level of awareness among Malaysian.
3. 1. 2 Make a creative decision.
The researcher have to create a creative ideas for make advertisement to highlight the importance of alcohol abuse among teenagers awareness and to make more people especially teenagers interested about this issue.
3. 1. 3 Make a media decisions.
The researcher have to choose the venue, the media (newspaper, magazines, etc) used for this campaign. This step is where the researcher has to change the public’s perception towards alcohol abuse among teenagers and persuade teenage to come forward and do not ashamed of their alcohol abuse problem.
3. 1. 4 Evaluate the campaign.
Provide a questionnaire to MSU student about alcohol use. The campaign is more to give awareness to teenager, parent and public about alcohol abuse. Alcohol abuse among teenagers is not being highlighted compare to anti-alcohol campaign. Not many campaigns have been done for this issue because people were not concerned on this issue.
3. 2 Tools and Software Requirement
3. 2. 1 Tools
Laptop Lenovo Y310 series
3. 2. 2 Software
3. 3 SWOT Analysis
Teenagers will live healthier lives
Teenagers will do better at school without the distraction of alcohol Inspire people to quit drinking as the campaign could help them realize its dangers Help teenagers to make sound decisions in their everyday lives without the effects of alcohol Help teachers and parents relate better with students
To improve awareness
The campaigns are small
Lack of exposure
Awareness is increasing
Less competition because of few campaigns
Ignorance from teenagers as they take drinking lightly
Lack of interest because teenagers consider drinking “ cool”
CHAPTER 4: CONCLUSION
Overall conclusion of this project is to bring awareness to youth and the people that alcohol abuse causes many disadvantages to all people. With the campaign like this in our country, it is possible to reduce the cases of alcohol abuse among teenagers. Other than that the parties responsible should be more concerned in this case and lacked to take for granted.
This project can also add youth and community knowledge about the dangers of this alcoholic beverage. This problem is too hard to solve it but at least with this campaign we can help to saved teenagers from caught with alcohol abused.
In this alcohol abuse among teenagers awareness campaign, the motivational illustration concept is used and there are several types of media and items used to carry out this campaign. The researchers use the emotional appeal as a concept to deliver the message to audience. For the print advertisement, the researcher comes out with a series of poster, newspaper advertisement, brochure and flyers. The researchers also come out with outdoor advertisement such as bunting and banner.